Our lives can be busy and filled with daily stress. Sometimes this stress leads us to believe we made the wrong choices when it comes to our relationships or career.
Sometimes we begin to doubt our abilities and we compare our performance to what we see in others. During times of stress, we can develop coping styles that are unhealthy. We may begin to isolate, push people away, or make impulsive decisions. Sometimes we cope with stress by not practicing good self-care, or by overeating.
As a professional counselor, I would like to help you find balance in your life. Shanthi is a Sanskrit word meaning peace, rest, calmness, tranquility, or bliss. I work with professionals who feel like they made the wrong career choices, people going through emotional stress, and those starting their weight loss journey.
I want to help you start your journey to find inner peace.
Rich received his master’s in counseling in 2005 and started practicing in Colorado as a Licensed Professional Counselor. He supervised a treatment unit at Excelsior Youth Center in Aurora, CO, which was an all-girls residential treatment center for kids between the ages of 11 and 20 with severe emotional and behavioral problems. He graduated from Argosy University with a doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision. His dissertation research was Coping Styles and Secondary Traumatic Stress in Direct Care Staff Working in Residential Treatment Centers. Rich’s research was published in the Journal of Therapeutic Schools and Programs in 2016.
In Iowa, Richard is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and he is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor in Minnesota. He is also a Nationally Certified Counselor by the National Board of Certified Counselors. He is an Approved Clinical Supervisor by the Center for Credentialing and Education
Rich is Core Faculty for Walden University online, which is a CACREP accredited program based out of Minneapolis MN. He’s also taught for Argosy University in Denver, CO and the University of Phoenix, Lone Tree Colorado Campus.
License, Training, and Certifications:
- Masters in Counseling
- Doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor – Iowa
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor – Minnesota
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy)- Part II Trained
- National Certified Counselor (NBCC)
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS)
- Board Certified Telemental Health Provider (BC-TMH)
- American Counseling Association
- American Counseling Association of Iowa
- Association for Children and Adolescent Counselors
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Counselors for Social Justice
- Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association
Boards and Committees:
- President: American Counseling Association of Iowa
- Advocacy Committee – Association of Children and Adolescent Counselors
- Journal of Child and Adolescent Counselors Editorial Board
- Johnson County Case Management Advisory Board